Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Book Recommendation

First, a little background... My two oldest kids, (ages 7 and 6) are voracious readers. My oldest in particular, has her nose in a book for a large percentage of her waking hours (and for some of her sleeping ones, too, as she has a habit of falling asleep with a book on her face!) Once upon a time I helped choose books for them to read, carefully examining each one to be sure the content was age appropriate, the themes in line with our values... all that good parenting stuff. Well, those days are long, long gone... I simply can't keep up! So now every week we go to the library , where the two big ones are turned loose, to eventually emerge with an enormous stack of books each. I just skim the covers, cross my fingers and hope they are OK. I read as much of what they're reading as I can, but now it is usually them who read first, and then I'll read and we'll talk about them.
This week, my daughter found a gem of a book... Baby by Patricia MacLachlan. She finished it in one sitting (it's not very long) and handed it to me, saying "Mom, you REALLY should read this... it's SO good." I picked it up that night after everyone was asleep, and was blown away by the sheer beauty of this story. It's so exquisitely written... the language so poetic... each word so carefully chosen. It is one of those stories that parents can enjoy just as much as their children. Some of the themes in this book may be a bit much for younger readers (abandonment, death, loss) but the prevailing themes are love, friendship, and understanding. It is the first book we've read by this author, and my daughter and I are both very anxious to read more.