I ALWAYS wanted to be a Mom...more than anything! When I had my first child, my Beautiful Baby Girl, almost 8 years ago, my world changed in ways I'd never imagined. Annabelle was EVERYTHING, and then Theo and Harry added to that. I've always been with them pretty much 24/7. I've rarely left them with babysitters. I love my role as their Mom, and it's a job I take very seriously. I know that childhood is fleeting, and I'm so blessed to be able to share in every bit of it with them.
That said, my kiddos are fairly "high energy", and their Dad has always had a very busy schedule, and being a full-time Mom, homeschooler, running my shops, taking care of the house, yard, pets, etc. can really wear a person out, sometimes! So, last May, I began a practice I call "Mommy's Day Off". My kids are a little less dependent on me now that they are older (my middle one, especially, always had a VERY hard time with me leaving him, even with his father), so after much prodding by several people who know me well, I took their advice and started carving some more "me time" into my schedule in the form of "Mommy's Day Off". My first one was last Memorial Day... I left the kids with Daddy and drove out to western MA for the day. I was fairly anxious about leaving them, (I think I called home a fair amount that day to "check in") but I kept reminding myself that they were in good hands with their Dad, and so I did my best to relax and enjoy. The next one was my birthday, in July. That one was easier! I even got to do some antiquing, something I used to LOVE to do, but which became impossible with kids in tow. My third "Mommy's Day Off", I went out to South Deerfield for the day to cheer up a sick miserable friend with dinner and tea and conversation, and in January I progressed to the next level... "Mommy's WEEKEND Off"! That one was REALLY tough at first, as I'd never been away from my babies overnight, except for when I was in the hospital having surgery. But you know what? They were just fine, and I got to spend the weekend catching up with old friends, having grown-up dinners with wine, and spending time lingering in cafes for hours. And by Sunday afternoon, I really missed them, and came home refreshed and rejuvenated.
Yesterday it was time for another day off for me! My beloved cousin came to stay with my kids, and I made a much anticipated pilgrimage to Webs, a phenomenal yarn store in Northampton. (you can read all about that adventure here) I LOVE Northampton, and also enjoyed some shopping downtown, and ate at one of my favorite restaurants (Paul and Elizabeth's) with a dear friend who lives out there. It was a delightful little day off!
The lesson I've learned is that taking a break once in a while doesn't make me a "Bad Mom"... it actually makes me a BETTER mom...less stressed, more relaxed, and generally happier. I get to pursue interests that my kids don't particularly enjoy being a part of (like spending ages in yarn stores!) and they get to spend quality time with other adults who love them. It's a win-win situation.
So my advice to all the Moms out there... Every few months or so, take a day off for yourself! Leave your kiddos with someone you truly trust, so you can really relax. Go someplace far enough away that you'll REALLY take the whole day for yourself, and not be tempted to rush back home for something minor. Keep your cell phone handy, so that you can be secure knowing that they can reach you if anything major comes up, but resist the urge to call and "check in"... They'll let you know if they need you, and it's supposed to be your "day off", remember?