Monday, May 5, 2008

Sometimes they are the teachers...

This morning, 6:15am, I was sitting here at the computer, having a cup of tea, checking my email, preparing for my day, when my 6-year-old came into my office. "Hey Mom... I have something for you to read..." He handed me The Roald Dahl Treasury, and pointed to the following passage:

When you grow up
and have children of your own
do please remember something important

a stodgy parent is no fun at all

What a child wants
and deserves
is a parent who is

~~\* \ * / * /~~
~\*\*\*\*/*/*/*/~
*~~* * SPARKY * *~~*
~/*/*/*/*\*\*\*\~
~~* * * *~~

A worthy reminder, I thought! Parenting can be exhausting sometimes, and in trying to make our way through the day, getting the tasks done that need to be done (the cat box, the laundry, the dishes, etc etc) it's far too easy to allow that stodginess to creep into us! Today I vow to be more conscious... more aware... more sensitive... more SPARKY.