Thursday, August 7, 2008

How we spent our Rainy Day....

Cold and rainy days draw me to my kitchen... when there is a chill in the air I need to get my oven going... surrounding myself with warmth and good smells. Yesterday was that kind of day. We had pulled some zucchini out of the garden the night before, so I baked two loaves of fresh zucchini bread! While it was baking, the kids and I made fresh, homemade butter! It was really fun and incredibly easy. We'll definitely be doing it again!

There are lots of ways to make butter... in a food processor, with a hand mixer... or the way we did it, by shaking the cream in a small container or jar... pretty much any method that beats the heck out of the cream until it's separated into butter and buttermilk will do! For kids, the "shaking" method is neat because they can do it all by themselves.

Ours took about 20 minutes or so of shaking... the kids took turns, shaking until their arms got tired. When we poured off the buttermilk, Theo just HAD to taste it... "Not bad," he said.
When it was all finished and the bread was baked and cooled, we had the most delicious snack!
It's funny, but when I woke up yesterday morning I was dreading the day... so dark and gloomy it was... but really it turned out to be a wonderful, cozy, homey kind of day. In addition to our butter and zucchini bread adventure, we also made homemade playdough, did some crafts, tap danced, played on the computer and read books. I was able to sneak in some housework and even managed to do some painting while the kids were entertaining themselves playing dress-up! We've been really enjoying being out and about on all our summer adventures, but I think that every once in a while, an "at home" day is a good thing!

But, now, today... we are back out the door! Off to run a few errands and to the library for new books!