My first two children were so easy to potty train... they practically trained themselves. Annabelle was just past her second birthday, Theo was just two-and-a-half. And then there was Harry. At age two, Harry wasn't even CLOSE to ready to start potty training. At 3 he wasn't, either. At 3 and a half he finally peed in the potty for the first time. Hurray!! But, that was short-lived. Now here he is, approaching four, and STILL not using the potty on regular basis. I've said this before, but this is Karma biting me in the ass for gloating about my other kids training so easily. It's as if the universe didn't want me to get too cocky over my mad parenting skillz. Feh. So, now, here I am with an almost-four year old who can carry on a semi-intelligent conversation, yet who can't keep from soiling himself.
That is... until today. Today I resorted to drastic measures to get this kid into underwear by the time he's four. Today I resorted to.... BRIBERY. Yup... "If you pee in the potty, I'll give you some CANDY!!" I was horrified, even as I heard my voice say it. And my 8 year old, my smart, sensible girl, said... "Mo-om! You can't do that! He's going to expect candy every time he pees for the rest of his life!" It was not my proudest parenting moment, but desperate times call for desperate actions.
The one cool thing about all of this? Today we've had almost no accidents, and he's been actually using the potty all day... for the first time in months. So, is bribery the best method of teaching your child to use the potty? Probably not. But is it effective? Seems to be, so far! Of course, the dentist would probably disagree with me.