Sometimes things don't go according to plan...
In figuring out how I'm going to survive post-divorce, I had made the plan to sell my house and move someplace affordable. Due to circumstances of the economy, our personal financial state, tax implications, etc etc etc... it turns out that my profits from the house will not give me quite as much of a down payment for a new house as I originally hoped for. This means that I need a Plan B... Attempt "for sale by owner" to net a bigger profit? Don't think I have the skills for that. Move to an apartment? Hmm... Decisions, decisions. After much thought and discussion, I've decided it's in the best interest of the kids to try to stay here, in our home. This will be an enormous financial challenge, which will involve cutting every extraneous expense and working my little tail off in order to get by. While I'm still pretty freaked out by the prospect of this, I'm trying hard to focus on the positives... We don't have to move the kids just yet, we don't have to leave our friends, I can still have my sister living downstairs from me. I think this will end up being less disruptive to the kids in the short term.
Five years ago, I had a very different vision of how my life was going to go. I never expected I'd be where I am today, but I'm doing what I can to make the best of it, and to thrive in spite of the changes. I'm trying to learn to be flexible, to bend with the changes rather than fight against them. I'm trying to give my kids the best life I can, under the circumstances. It's tough. But I'm trying.