Thursday, April 17, 2008

this post is not for the blood-squeamish

There is never a shortage of excitement around here! Yesterday we had some excitement of the not-so-nice variety. The kids and I were getting ready to have a little bite to eat and head out for the day, so I went upstairs to put the guinea pig back in her cage, and while I was on my belly under the bed with a pig in my hand I heard a blood-curdling scream from the family room, immediately followed by my daughter yelling (over my son's crying) "MOOOMM!!! HELP!! COME NOW!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!!" I flew down the stairs to see my son bent over, hands over his face, blood dripping through his fingers everywhere. It looked to be somewhere around his mouth, so I grabbed him, grabbed a towel and put in on his mouth. I couldn't even figure out where the blood was coming from, it was soaking the towel and it was so much and I was FREAKING OUT. I called 911, and ran outside with him and the other two following. my neighbor (Thank GOD) saw what was happening and ran outside and took my other two kids to her house and Theo and I went in the ambulance to the ER. Turns out he and my daughter were roughhousing a bit, and he fell over the coffee table and put his teeth right through his cheek/lip. They patched him up in the ER, and we went home, stopping to get some ice cream on the way. We sat on the couch and ate ice cream for a late lunch (Doctor's orders!) while Annabelle and Harry ate PB&J, and it was then that I was finally able to breathe again! SO scary to see blood coming out of your child like that! But Theo is a wonderful example of the resiliency of children... a mere 5 hours after he was in an ambulance, he was back out in the yard, playing on the swing set with his siblings and the neighbor kids! We did end up back at the Dr. office later, because there was some concern over that Dermabond wasn't quite holding things together properly, but that all worked out. This morning he had to start on antibiotics, because it was getting all red and puffy, but he's really handling quite well! He's not letting this injury slow him down! Today we're off to nature study group, where we will be traipsing through the woods, looking for signs of spring. Being out in the beautiful spring air will keep his mind off his swollen face, I'm guessing! Speaking of spring and signs thereof... Our daffodils are starting to bloom, finally! Just two so far, but the rest will not be far behind. As your reward for reading all the way through my gory post, I'll post a picture of one of our pretty daffodils. Enjoy!